Major performance and scalability advances in this version include:
- Index-only scans, allowing users to avoid inefficient scans of base tables
- Enhanced read-only workload scaling to 64 cores and over 300,000 queries per second
- Improvements to data write speeds, including group commit
- Reductions in CPU power consumption
- Cascading replication, supporting geographically distributed standby databases
- JSON data support, enabling hybrid document-relational databases
- Range types, supporting new types of calendar, time-series and analytic applications
- Multiple improvements to ALTER and other statements, easing runtime database updates
We depend on our community to help test the next version in order to guarantee that it is high-performance and bug-free. Please download PostgreSQL 9.2 Beta and try it with your workloads and applications as soon as you can, and give feedback to the PostgreSQL developers. More information on how to test and report issues
Get PostgreSQL 9.2 beta, including binaries and installers for Windows, Linux and Mac from our download page.
Full documentation of the new version is available online, and also installs with PostgreSQL.