Postgres Performance Monitoring Tool gesucht

Hallo Zusammen,

ich bin neu hier und fange gerade an mich mit Postgres zu beschäftigen. Bisher habe ich immer nur mit Oracle DBs zu tun gehabt.
Ich bin auf der Suche nach einem Performance Monitoring Tool, so wie wir es auch für Oracle nutzen.
Ich hatte dafür diesen Text geschrieben, allerdings auf Englisch. Da ihr aber wahrscheinlich eh alle des englisch mächtig seid, hoffe ich, dass das für euch ok ist. Anworten könnt ihr auf jeden Fall auf deutsch. :slight_smile:

I’m searching a tool to do Performance Monitoring on PostgreSQL DBs. As we are switching from Oracle to PostgreSQL, we need to have a tool similar as we have for Oracle.
We are using currently this tool to monitor our Oracle Databases: http://www.precise.com/assets/precise/pdf/DS_Precise-for-Oracle-DB.pdf.

As I have not much experience in PostgreSQL but in Oracle I just listed the needed functionalities from my point of ‘Oracle’ view. (See below) - Please forgive me if some listed features are nonsense. :slight_smile:

I found this tool (https://pganalyze.com/) which goes in the correct direction but the contact is not answering. I suppose it is no longer maintained as I don’t get any answer from them.
Please keep in mind, that the users are not DBAs, they are ‘normal’ database users.
To install the tool (and the needed database collectors) super user privileges can be used.

Why do we need this tool?
This tool is a self-service tool to get needed performance data of the database without involving the Database Administrators (and of course without damaging or destroying the database :-)).
In my experience Database performance management is an ‘unloved’ issue. Database Administrators keep saying that the problem is not in the database but in the application (and that’s usually the truth) and the operations team has no access (or access is quite difficult) to performance data to deliver it to the application developers.
So this gap is closed by the requested tool.

What are the key features of the tool?

• Web based GUI (Flash is not allowed, GUI is not supposed to install anything on the client machine)
  • Uses its own Database to store history performance data of each monitored Database
  • Role and User Management
  • Dashboards to get a first impression of the health of the database
  • Drill down to the root cause of the problem
  • Shows how many time is spent where (CPU, IO, Wait, etc.)
  • Shows average execution time of each statement over a configurable time
  • Shows statement Execution count over a configurable time
  • Possibility to drill down to the different wait times
  • Check time stamp of last generated statistics
  • Show execution Plan for a SQL including times for each step
  • Recommendation for Performance Tuning (e.g. create Index, rebuild Index, delete Index, etc.)
  • User friendly help pages on each web page explaining the page itself
  • User friendly help pages to get information about the issues found in the monitored database
  • Navigate from a sql statement to involved objects to get information about the selected objects
  • Group fired SQL on users or clients
  • Read Only: Users are able to see performance data but can’t change (or destroy) something in the database
  • Low performance overhead while monitoring the target database
  • Tool-Users cannot see the data from inside the DB, only the performance data
  • Show graphs and generate reports of the health of the database

Who is supposed to use the tool?

• Project Staff: They will use the tool during the performance and stress tests when introducing new software or making some changes on already existent software. If the test shows performance problems the tool will help them to analyze the problem and collect information. The collected information can easily be gathered and transferred to the developer to help him to fix the problem
  • Operational Staff: To monitor the database and check events in the past, e.g. if a productive System was slow and inperformant to help him to find the root cause.
  • User can have deeper DB Knowledge but also DB unexperienced users will use the tool, e.g. to collect data for the developers

Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone know such a tool?

Schau Dir mal die hier an:

Vieles davon wird nicht möglich sein, weil Postgres (noch) nicht so detaillierte Informationen zu der Ausführung von einzelnen Statements liefert wie Oracle, oder die Informationen gar nicht zur Verfügung stellt (z.B. “Check time stamp of last generated statistics” oder “Possibility to drill down to the different wait times”)